Mukesh Ambani, the formidable chairman of Reliance Industries Ltd. (RIL), recently became the target of a serious death threat and extortion bid, as revealed by news agency ANI. This isn’t the first time that the business tycoon’s safety has been imperiled. This incident further underscores the looming dangers eminent personalities can face.
Key Details of the Current Threat
Date: October 27
Demand: Rs 20 crore
Nature of Threat: Threat to shoot Mukesh Ambani
Source of Report: ANI, quoting Mumbai Police
Legal Proceedings Initiated
A prompt legal recourse has been pursued in light of the threatening email:
- Location of Case Registration: Gamdevi police station, Mumbai
- Charges Applied:
- Attempt to extortion by threatening death or grievous hurt (Section 387 of IPC)
- Criminal intimidation (Section 506-2 of IPC)
|IPC Section 387
|Threatening for extortion
|IPC Section 506-2
Contents of the Threatening Email
The emailed threat was explicitly menacing, stating, “If you don’t give us 20 crore rupees, we will kill you, we have the best shooters in India.”
Previous Threats to the Ambani Family
Mukesh Ambani and his family have previously been at the receiving end of threats:
- Date: Last year
- Target: Sir HN Reliance Foundation Hospital and Ambani’s family residence, Antilia.
- Nature of Threat: Calls threatening to kill Mukesh Ambani, his wife Nita, and sons Akash and Anant. There were also threats to blow up the hospital and Antilia.
- Accused: Rakesh Kumar Mishra, 30 years of age, was arrested from Darbhanga in Bihar.
The threats to the Ambani family, both past and recent, shed light on the importance of security for high-profile figures in the country. The swiftness with which the police acted last year led to the arrest of the perpetrator, and there’s hope that the current threat will also be swiftly neutralized.
Related Questions and Answers
- Who is Mukesh Ambani?
Mukesh Ambani is the chairman of Reliance Industries Ltd. (RIL), one of India’s largest conglomerates.
- What was the nature of the recent threat to Mukesh Ambani?
He received an email threatening to shoot him if he did not pay Rs 20 crore.
- Where was the case registered regarding this threat?
The case was registered at Gamdevi police station in Mumbai.
- Who was the accused in the previous threat against the Ambani family last year?
Rakesh Kumar Mishra, a 30-year-old man from Darbhanga in Bihar, was arrested for the threats made last year.
- Which family residence of the Ambanis was previously threatened to be blown up?
Antilia, the luxurious residence of the Ambani family in South Mumbai, was threatened last year.